Getting the most out of Power Point (by David Dodgson)

1. Barbara Barbara says:

I LOVE this, David. Most teachers have access to Power Point, or a program like it. Just reading through your post made me start thinking of ways that I can use slide shows like this in my own classrooms.

Thank you for sharing your own examples, and for helping us to see Power Point as a teaching tool rather than just a presentation tool!

2. David says:

David,

Great points and you reminded me to dig up an old old article/document I wrote about “Making a power point powerful”. I’ll come back with a link to it.

I agree that if done well, it really can help with vocabulary. I always stress to teachers the power of power point print preview. You can print the vocab slides and cut up as flashcards. Print – Print Preview – (select 6 slides/page) – Print.

Also, great when students make power point games with templates, to review lesson content. Just give them a template (we have hundreds on EFL Classroom 2.0) and it is amazing what they will come up with. But great point – that’s where it is at, student created content. That’s high end teaching….

David

3. Tony says:

I’d like to second Barbara’s comments – that’s a very thought-provoking post. It has made me think of different ways to introduce material, which is always good for both students and teachers. Plus, you’ve prompted me to reassess my prejudices about Powerpoint. Cheers!

4. Patrick says:

I like the way you move quickly from presentation to activities that actually require the students to understand and think, then on to personalisation.

5. DavidD says:

Thank you Barbara for offering me a guest slot on your wonderful blog (Teaching Village is now a fave blog with several of my colleagues by the way – we’ve even managed to get it exempted from the school’s “Blogging and social media” web filter!).

Thanks for the comments so far. I’m glad I’ve prompted some thoughts about and/or re-assessment of using Powerpoint in class. I believe mis-use of Powerpoint for drawn out teacher-centred presentations has given it a bit of a bad name. However, when used effectively, it can be a great asset for learning.

6. Matthew Spira Matthew Spira says:

I agree with the people saying, “Well done.”

You engaged the students in ways where they are actively using English to achieve the communicative goals. Nicely done.

-Matt

7. 比登美 says:

My motto is “Make difficult thing easy, make easy thing deep, make deep thing interesting.” this is it.

比登美

8. Paddy says:

Great article David. I use powerpoint a lot on training courses for adult learners and I agree with you that:

1. There is nothing worse than a lesson with umpteen powerpoint slides. ‘Death by powerpoint’, is how some of my learners describe it

2. Less is more on any slide

3. There are a suprising number of otherwise intelligent and capable colleagues who are plain scared of trying out powerpoint

4. Give the learners a go and get some fresh ideas going.

Cheers
    PD

1. September 24, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Aniya, Keisa Williams, Barbara Sakamoto, Janet Bianchini, Christina Markoulaki and others. Christina Markoulaki said: "Getting the most out of Power Point by @DaveDodgson on @barbsaka's Teaching Village" http://bit.ly/bYV6NN #edtech #efl #tefl […]

2. January 3, 2012

[…] to Barbara and she kindly offered me the chance to do a guest post here on Teaching Village about how I used PowerPoint in class. 18 months on, we again get the chance to collaborate as part of the EVO 2012 Digital Storytelling […]