More than six ways of motivating our students

1. Chiew Chiew says:

What a brilliant summary! Yes, comments are very motivating indeed but why are people so shy of leaving comments?

• Barbara Barbara says:

I don’t know, but I do know that I’m just as guilty! I read way more posts than I comment on. I’ll have to do better 🙂

• Adam Simpson says:

Let’s all make a pact to leave more comments from now on!

I’m thinking of setting aside one week each month when I don’t do anything on my blog but focus my time solely on reading others’ posts *and* commenting… sound like a good idea?

• Barbara Barbara says:

Brilliant idea, Adam! I’m one of the worst culprits for leaving comments, and I need to do something to change that.

I know there have been some initiatives meant to increase comments, but nothing seems to have stuck. Also, discussion happens on several platforms now! People talk to me about my posts on facebook and twitter, which is great, but it also means that the comments disappear into a timeline rather than being archived.

There are people who are prolific commenters–maybe we can get them to share their secrets 🙂

2. Nice article on motivation! It made me think about how I stay motivated to learn a language (and I am a language teacher myself). I referenced your post in my latest post! Thanks for the inspiration.

3. Torn Halves says:

There are links here to some excellent advice relating to the craft of teaching (and I especially like Chiew’s approach of giving students as much responsiblity as possible). On another post perhaps it would be nice to stand back a bit from the immediate practicalities of teaching and trying to motivate, and consider how some societies make the job much harder. I haven’t been to the Gaza Strip, but I have seen documentary footage of classrooms packed full of keen Palestinian students. A sharp contrast to my experience in some schools in the UK and Greece. As individual teachers we can’t change the culture and the social context we find ourselves in, but it is worth taking a close look at it from time to time and acknowledging the way it impacts on the way students perceive themselves, their teachers and the significance of their education.

4. golconda chayadevi says:

Dear Teacher’s,
    It’s interesting to note the most integral part of language teaching is always motivated in a similar manner whereever we teach. English as the second language plays a very significant role in Indian language pedagogy. My experience as a language teacher is different from you all. It’s conventional teaching verses situational teaching. Almost all the teachers fallow the same method which is syllabus and exam oriented teaching and learning. This may not speak much or rather anything creative in the classroom learning. Indeed i am motivated to get some changes in this scenario by introducing the most relevant method of teaching the four language skills while teaching the prose, poetry and also the grammar exercise. It is an Herculean task to adopt this, getting the students oriented in listening, reading, writing and speaking skills in every class they learn to be practiced by each and every student ,till we obtain the end result.This artical has given me a break through in motivating the students in our country.