Large Teenage Classes: some strategies to enjoy the lesson! (by Valentina Morgana)

1. Barbara Barbara says:

Thank you, Valentina, for being willing to share this. I still love the Englishometer, and now have even more things to try out in class. I know that other readers, especially those who teach teens, and especially large classes of teens, will find some useful tips as well!

• Valentina Valentina says:

Thanks, Barbara. I think sharing classroom ideas and positive experiences is a great way to learn from each other.
      I hope these ideas can be useful for other teachers as they were for me :-)!

2. the_seadreamer says:

Hi Valentina,
    Thanks for these valuable ideas,I have been teaching with large classes,too.Sometimes when I get home,I have no energy for speaking or listening:( My students take all my energy but I love teaching and being challenged.
    I would like to learn more about Englishometer,is it a picture,tool or you draw it to the board?

• Valentina Valentina says:

Hi! I know the feeling, at the end of the week I feel like I could sleep for 48 hours till Monday morning :-)!
      I usually get a couple of students to draw the Englishometer on a side of the board, or sometimes we put it on the wall. It looks like a big arrow with a scale from 0% to 100%.
      Let me know if it works!

3. Christina says:

Thanks for the ideas, Valentina, which could be used in several different types of classes! I particularly like the cards at the end of the lesson. Are the students honest? Are they somehow held accountable, or is just having to put it in writing sufficient enough to make them be honest? Also, do you see any increase in participation/use of English thanks to this (or another effective activity, like the Englishmeter?)

Thanks again for the ideas!

• Valentina Valentina says:

Hi Christina,
      many thanks for your comment. I think monitoring is the key issue here. If your students get used to be monitored during speaking activities, they will definitely be honest while compiling the self-assessment cards. They know we are there to see how they are dealing with the situation, and also to help them.
      About the increase in use of English, the answer is Yes! 🙂 Englishometer is a daily tool of my speaking lessons now, my students like the idea of measuring themselves…it’s like a game for them. And when I forget to give them cards or put the arrow in the right place, they are eager to do it in my place! Try it and let me know 🙂