To champion the picturebook (by Sandie Mourão)

1. Barbara Barbara says:

Thanks for sharing your passion, Sandie! It’s contagious 🙂

I love picture books and so do my students. Thanks for introducing me to “It’s a Book.” It’s going to be a welcome addition to our class library!

2. Matthew Spira Matthew Spira says:

I fully agree that picture books are under-appreciated as teaching and learning tools. I also completely agree that there are so many different ways to implement them in the learning experience.

As context for the above statement, the kindergarten and elementary-aged language academy I work for in South Korea has recently coalesced around the strongest staff it has had in its history. For the first time in my tenure (and I’ve been there the entire time), I don’t think we have a single weak teacher.

And back when I was a manager in the business world, I was a firm believer in the principle of MWOB – “Managing by walking around.” I’m not the manager of my school, but when I walk through the hallways and peek- perhaps more importantly listen to, or simply experience the classroom dynamics- what I see are the teachers making the learning opportunities three-dimensional by incorporating multi-sensory input at an appropriate pace for children with very imaginative variations of standard materials.

Often, it is simply a set of visuals being organized in different ways to highlight different comprehension strategies, or to stimulate production along different channels.

One thing I personally like to do is give photographs or sets of photographs (for sequencing of both narrative and expository forms of writing) to students and have them try to exhaustively describe the images. Depending on developmental level, I’ll either provide scaffolding through targeted but open-ended questions, or simply provide an “editorial eye” doing the creation process of their assignment.

Maybe not the exact same thing as you describe, but I’m simply trying to illustrate my complete agreement to the versatility of picture books in a wide variety of contexts.

• SandieMourao SandieMourao says:

Thanks for your message Matt 🙂 Couldn’t agree more. The illustrations in picturebooks provide wonderful opportunities for talk, which we often overlook in our focus on the words.

• Eric Kane Eric Kane says:

YES! 🙂 Picture books without the pictures are “just” books. The pictures are half the equation – MORE for the youngest learners. We use a lot of interactive reading strategies in the classroom and they seem to be the one thing that can keep even the youngest kids glued to the floor for the longest time! They love predicting, describing, answering, laughing!

3. Yoshie says:

Thank you for great sharing about wonderful picture books! They are so helpful for me. Also I am really impressed by your passion.

4. Kathleen Kampa Kathleen Kampa says:

Your photo makes me feel like sitting down and reading for hours on end. Picture books are truly magical! I use picture books with students of varying English levels and ages. They beckon the use of Multiple Intelligences strategies (I end up singing and moving with many of the books I read). They invite children to think holistically about the “big ideas” in the books linking all of the “little pieces” of vocabulary together.
    Best of luck on your research . . .
    Kathleen Kampa

• SandieMourao SandieMourao says:

Hi Kathleen,
      Thank you for your wonderful response. I love your “big ideas” and “‘little pieces’ of vocabulary” comment. Perfect. Picturebooks do just that. The illustrations help us see the whole and then focus in, which is often quite the opposite of what we do with words, which is look at the bits to get a whole.
      And yes, picturebooks do wonders for the whole child/student, catering for their affective, social and cognitive development, as well as their emotional development. They are truely wonderful things and a good picturebook is better than all my favourite things tied together in a bow.
      Do pop into my blog every now and again and read about some of the picturebooks there.

1. October 29, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Barbara Sakamoto, David Dodgson. David Dodgson said: To champion the picturebook (by Sandie Mourão) via @barbsaka […]