Siklot: Reinvention of a Traditional Game for EFL Classrooms (by Marco Brazil)

1. Barbara Barbara says:

Thanks for getting this series off to such a brilliant start, Marco!

You have real talent in exploiting teaching potential in traditional games. I’ve enjoyed following your efforts on Facebook.

I look forward to trying Siklot with my students next week. And I hope that your post encourages other teachers to share their own game adaptations!

2. Marco Brazil Marco Brazil says:

My pleasure Barb. Anytime you ask me, I’ll do it for Teaching Village. Knowing other teachers will be playing my game in their classrooms makes me feel happy. This is just the beginning, coz I’ll be looking forward to another posting of another traditional game from the Philippines. Mabuhay to Teaching Village!

3. David says:

Wonderful stuff and I love how interactive the game can be. Further and most importantly, starting from student’s own cultural knowledge can be so powerful – whether adapting a game, retelling a traditional folktale or just using their own celebrities/heroes in lessons.

A teacher on EFL Classroom recently shared an adaptation of the traditional Korean game of Yutnori. All the kids know it, play it and her adaptation into English was a hit. I hope more teachers, wherever they are around the world will follow yours and her lead and do the same!

• Marco Brazil Marco Brazil says:

Thanks for the lovely thoughts, David. When I reinvented Siklot for my classes I was just thinking of ways to make use of my picture cards (I am using Let’s Go series student cards). But now, some of my students started asking about it’s origin (my country) and that’s the bonus!

• Barbara Barbara says:

And it’s a good bonus, Marco. Since my students don’t have the language to explicitly learn about other cultures, games are an easy way to include culture in class. Plus, kids tend to be more interested in learning about games from other countries than they are in some other aspects of culture (unless snack foods are included).

• Marco Brazil Marco Brazil says:

You hit the nail. Barb and couldn’t say more. I”ll be reinvernting dozens more (giggling)!

• Barbara Barbara says:

I totally missed that post, David. There are SO MANY goodies on EFL Classroom that I always worry that I’m missing something really great–like this game.

Nice chance to remind everyone–If you haven’t already joined EFL Classroom, you should. Hands down, the best all-around resource site for EFL teachers. The link in my sidebar under Teacher Resources will take you to the site (as will clicking on David’s name in the comment).

4. Reeka says:

Hey, nice game, we have nearly the same in Hungary.
    Congratulations for your third prize this year.
    I’ve just set up a blog. Check it out and let me know your opinion please.
    Regards: Reeka

5. Marufelia P. Dagondon says:

Rico, that means our traditional game “siklot” is also played in other countries only with variation on how, what materials are used and depending on the players… share more of our traditional games…

1. May 29, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Shelly S Terrell and Barbara Sakamoto, ICBEU Manaus. ICBEU Manaus said: RT @ShellTerrell: Siklot: Reinvention of a Traditional Game for EFL Classrooms (by Marco Brazil) via @barbsaka […]