30 teachers from 16 countries (and counting!)

Earlier this month, I awoke to a lovely message telling me that Teaching Village was the TEFL Site of the Month. While always thrilled to get an award of any kind, I’m a bit embarrassed to admit that I wasn’t sure what this award was for (I’m still sort of new to this blogging business). So, I went over to TEFL.net and learned Teaching Village was being recognized for having developed “a rich community of English teachers from around the world.”

Since I’m extremely proud of the teachers who are part of this community, and since they’re the reason Teaching Village received this award, it seems only fair that I brag on them a bit :-)

So far, 30 teachers representing 16 countries have contributed posts to this blog. They are very different teachers working in a variety of environments. Some are technowizards and some work in schools where a CD player is considered high tech. Most, but not all, are EFL teachers of young learners. For some, English is a first language; for others it’s a second or third language. What they have in common is a passion for their students, and for teaching, and for learning. They’re written about their own classes so we can better understand how EFL looks in different corners of the world. They’ve written about things they think other EFL teachers should know. They’ve written about the things their students have taught them. They’ve been generous with the knowledge they’ve learned through experience, and I’ve learned from each of them.

Thank you!

Dayle Major (Korea)
Steven Herder (Japan)
Troy Nahumko (Spain)
Shelly Sanchez Terrell (Germany)
Rob Newberry (Thailand)
Tomo Wakui (Japan)
Conchi Martinez de Tejada (Spain)
Jennifer Verschoor (Argentina)
Özge Karaoğlu (Turkey)
Anita Kwiatkowska (Poland/Turkey)
Daniel Kirk (Japan)
Mike Harrison (UK)
Matt Richelson (Japan)
Hadley Ferguson (USA)
Esra Girgin Akiskali (Turkey)
Marisa Pavan (Argentina)

The countries in parentheses refer to the countries the teachers live in or have written about, not necessarily the country on the cover of their passports. If you’ve missed some of their posts, I encourage you to explore the “Guest Bloggers” section in the sidebar. If you find a post that moves you or teaches you something new, please let the writer know in comments. Many of these teachers are beginning bloggers and for some this was their first foray into the blogosphere. They all enjoy hearing from other teachers!

If you’d like to read more about our TEFL Site award, and see which other blogs have been recognized, you can read more about it on TEFL.net.

If you’d like to become part of The Village, please consider writing a guest post. We’d love to learn from you, too!

Now, if I can just figure out how to insert the award logo into the sidebar…..

1. Congratulations on your award! you have brought some great articles together that have offered a wonderful range of expertise and experience! I’ve enjoyed participating and reading these experiences!

Thanks, Shelly! I really appreciated your willingness to contribute when this project was in its early stages. Having someone with your talent and enthusiasm was a great boost! I’ve learned a lot from you, and very happy that the Internet brought our paths together!

3. Congratulations:)
    I agree with Tefl.net that your blog is such a great place uniting teachers, educators all around the world. It help us motivate ourselves. It help us see that we are not alone in the teaching universe. It was a great pleasure for me to contribute to your blog. I remember that week…
    Thank you Barbara for this great idea.
    Eva Büyüksimkesyan

Thanks, Eva! It was my pleasure, and I look forward to your next post (not so subtle hint….) :-)

4. Yoon Soo Lim says:

Barbara ~ Congratulations!

You have a wonderful blog where many come to reflect and learn with you. Thanks so much for sharing your insights and also posts featuring guest teachers!

Yoon

Thanks for your kind words. I really enjoy your blog, too! I don’t teach music, but I’ve learned a lot from reading about how you relate to your students :-)

5. Congratulations and thank you for inviting us :)

Waiting impatiently for some new series!

Thanks, Anita, for accepting the invitation!

A new series, eh? You need only to ask! Let’s see . . .

6. Tara Benwell says:

Great blog Barbara! You truly deserve bragging rights! I love the teaching village concept! Good luck in the TEFL.net Site of the Year award. (Russell Stannard won last year and then won an ELTON a few months later!)

Thanks for the nod, Tara. I love the way the concept has developed–thanks to some great contributions! I appreciate the chance to shine a light on them (again!) and hope that the recognition we’ve gotten encourages more EFL teachers to share their stories here, and on other blogs.

There’s a site of the year award? Oh my!

7. Marisa Pavan says:

Congratulations on your award! You’re right when you say that our environment, situation and working places can be different but our passion for teaching is the same.
    Thanks for having invited me to be part of this group. It’s been a great honor for me.
    Marisa

The honor is mine, Marisa. Thank you for agreeing to share your passion with us!

8. arjana says:

Dear Barbara!
    Huge congrats on your award! I have learned so much from you and your guest bloggers and I’m honored to be part of this community. Thanks a lot!
    arjana

I’m thrilled to have you as part of this community, Arjana! Your efforts to connect students around the world are inspiring to me, and other teachers. Thank you for sharing that enthusiasm with us here.

9. Matt says:

Hi Barbara, Congratulations! Thanks for mentioning all of us. I am sure those of us who have blogged have learned as much as we have contributed, if not more. I know I have!

Matt

Thanks for the kind words, Matt! I like that we can all learn together. It’s one of the best things about being a teacher, too, I think :-)

All of the guest authors here have an open invitation to return (hint, hint!) so I hope to learn more from you in the future, too!

10. Hi Barbara

Just let me add my voice to the chorus chanting congratulations on the award!
    Thanks also for mentioning all the wonderful guest bloggers – well done everyone!

It’s such a great place to share, and I’m so glad to have been a part of it recently :)

Mike

I’ve been really fortunate to have host amazing guest bloggers–including you!

Thank you so much for calling this a great place to share. That’s one of the nicest things anyone has said to me :-)

11. Congratulations, Barbara and everyone else. It is a lovely blog and it is great to hear so may different voices from so many different parts of the world. I have just looked at your “guest post” page and I am interested. Just tell me what I need to do.

Yay, Natasa! I’ve actually been meaning to ask you if you’d consider writing for the Village but hadn’t gotten around to it yet (the story of my life, I’m afraid!). I’m so glad you offered!

To begin with, decide what you’d like to write about. There are three series ongoing, and I think you’d have something valuable to add to any of all of them. I’d love to hear about teaching EFL in Serbia, or what you’ve learned that you think other teachers should know, or what you’ve learned from your students. Or, if what you want to write about doesn’t fit one of those topics, we’ll come up with another series just for you :-)

I’ll send you an email with the specific details about accessing the blog.

Thanks for your willingness to share with us! I already learn so much from you on Twitter and in your blog posts. I’m excited to learn from you here, too!

12. Many congratulations Barbara! The award is very well deserved indeed! It was a huge honour to write a guest post on your fabulous blog and I am learning so much from reading all the excellent posts. Once again, well done!

13. You deserved that prize, Barbara and more ones are about to come! Sorry for the belated comment, but I have been cut off the blogosphere lately due to excessive work at school! I’ll be back soon, though to read more of your latest posts! Congratulations once again!

Christina, sweet as always! Welcome back to the blogosphere. I can hardly wait to hear about what you’ve been up to :-)

14. […] recognition Teaching Village receives. However, I just did that about four posts ago to acknowledge our TEFL Site of the Month award, so it would feel a bit […]