2009 Edublogs Nominations

There’s a useful word in Japanese: giri-giri. The closest English translation is probably cutting it close or by skin of your teeth, as in “I”m submitting my nominations for the Edublogs Awards giri-giri!”

What I was most amazed at when I started to try and limit my choices to one or two per category was just how many amazing people I’ve met in the last year, and how much I’ve learned from them. Thank you all!

Here are my nominations for this year’s Edublog Awards:

Individual blog:

Kalinago English (Karenne Sylvester)

That’SLife (Gavin Dudeney)

Individual tweeter:

Milton Ramirez

Shelly Terrell

Group blog:

Teacher Talk Team Blog (on AzarGrammar.com)

New blog:

Ken Wilson’s Blog (Ken Wilson)

Marisa Constantinides–TEFL Matters (Marisa Constantinides)

Student Blog:

Students’ Page (Christina Markoulaki)

The Island Weekly (Anne Hodgson)

Resource Sharing blog:

Life Feast (Ana Maria Menezes)

Nik’s Learning Technology Blog (Nik Peachey)

Influential blogpost:

Spread Your Knowledge (Burcu Akyol)

She-in-ELT (Karenne Sylvester)

Influential tweet/series of tweets/tweet-based discussions:

#edchat

Best Teacher blog:

Teacher Reboot Camp (Shelly Terrell)

Teaching in Second Life (Nergiz Kern)

Best Librarian/Library blog:

Alliance Virtual Library (Alliance Virtual)

Educational Technology blog:

Blogging About the Web 2.0 Connected Classroom (Steven W. Anderson)

Ozge Karaoglu’s Blog (Ozge Karaoglu)

Best e-learning/Corporate Education Blog:

ESOL Courses (Sue Lyons)

Gapfillers (Berni Wall)

Educational Use of Audio:

Breaking News English (Sean Banville)

The Lives of  Teachers (Interviews) (Darren Elliott)

Educational use of Video:

TEFL CLips (Jamie Keddie)

Teacher Training Videos (Russell Stannard)

Educational Wiki:

ozgekaraoglu (Ozge Karaoglu)

Creative Web Tools For and By Kids (Jackie Gerstein)

Educational use of a Social Networking Service:

EFL Clasroom 2.0

Educator’s PLN

Educational Use of a Virtual World:

SLanguages Conference

Lifetime Achievement:

Gavin Dudeney

Related Posts with Thumbnails

1. Barbara,

I’m honoured – thank you so much. To be in such illustrious company is amazing!

Gavin

Sometimes we don’t know how our small kindnesses affect other people, so I want to let you know how your (not so small) kindness affected me.

First was your willingness to allow the Webheads to build a headquarters in Edunation. During the EVO VWLL, I didn’t have a clue about Second Life land prices, but still knew that all donations cost somebody. Then I began to hear about your other bits of generosity in support of education and educators in SL. Then I started bumping into your free teacher tools and discovered your toy store (teaching tools). And so on….Your actions spoke more loudly than your words (especially because I’ve never heard you promote all that you do in the background for teachers in SL).

Your kindness affected me in two ways:

1) It gave me a chance to see the potential in SL for education, AND the space to become comfortable enough so that I could explore that potential for myself.

and 2) It showed me by model a sharing, supportive community that I wanted to belong to.

Thank you, Gavin.

2. Thank you Barbara! The blogging experience you urged me to live will be unforgettable!

3. Nergiz Kern says:

Thanks Barbara!

You deserve a special nomination for encouraging so many others to start blogging.

Nergiz

Thanks, Nergiz. Hopefully, this nomination (and whatever publicity comes with it) will encourage even more teachers to share their stories!

4. Many thanks, Barbara for this nomination. What a great badge of honour!

Marisa

I feel a special kinship with you, Marisa. We both started blogging at about the same time, we began stumbling around in Second Life and Twitter at about the same time, too. Perhaps we’re cyber twins separated by a couple of oceans?

In any case, I have a great deal of fun with our stumbling, and I’m thrilled to see the recognition your have received with your nominations!

5. anamaria says:

Dear Barbara,

What an honour to be included on your list. You’re right, it’s really tough to choose one for each category. I’ll make a point of exploring your suggestions.

I’ve already discovered other great bloggers through your nominations as well, Ana Maria! I always enjoy the clear, simple explanations you give for the tools you share. And I really love the TEFL angle when you talk about their education potential. I’m happy to point EFL teachers to your feast!

6. Barbara, how lovely…. and the loveliest thing is that you have spelt my name right! It’s a rare thing that I get my full quota of L’s and T’s…

You helped me get off to a great start with the videos, and I’ll always be grateful.

Darren

Glad I got it right.

I had great fun with our interview, and your collection has turned into a wonderful resource for teachers. I look forward to seeing many, many more!

7. ozge says:

Barbara,
    Thank you for including me to your nomination list, I’m truly honored!!We all have learnt a lot from you!!

Thanks, Ozge. You are one of my heroes in TEFL! I will always be grateful that you kicked off the Front Lines series. You’re a wonderful role model for other EFL teachers, and I’m thrilled that I’ve had a chance to get to know you online. I hope we have a chance someday to meet in person, as well. I would love to see your school!

You are one of my faves forever!

8. Anne Hodgson says:

Dear Barbara, thank you, thank you, thank you! You’ve given me so much sunshine and warmth, I’d love to meet you one day. Must find a way. I’ve just checked out the Edublogs Awards page and am having an incredibly hard time choosing. Last year it was a lot easier … ;)
    All the best to you on this exciting, sharing jouney!!
    Speaking of warmth: It’s pouring sleet outdoors as I write this, but we’re expecting a drop in temperature by a degree or two and a dusting of snow this weekend. Can’t wait to see the Christmas markets covered in white powder and to get into the spirit.
    Happy holidays, Barbara!
    Anne

Thanks, Anne. You are one of those people who always makes me smile! Whether I’m reading your latest blog post, or tweet, or conversation, I always walk away feeling better than I did before. You bring sunshine to my computer, and to my day.

Happy holidays to you, too!

9. [...] Barbara Sakamoto for her Best New Blog nomination for which she is also a nominee. Visit her blog and read the great stories of teachers from around the world. [...]